Product Development Manager
at ILIA Beauty
Laguna Beach, CA
CLEAN BEAUTY IN COLOR.
We sought out to create a beauty line that was transparent about all its ingredients. It had to have roots in natural and organic, be safe use, look good and most importantly - perform.
ILIA is an award-winning, contemporary organic makeup brand; a hybrid of on-trend pigments and nourishing, clean ingredients. ILIA started in 2011 in Vancouver, BC by Sasha Plavsic and is now based in Laguna Beach. Our line contains more than 100 products and shades and is sold in over 30 countries globally. As we bridge the gap between clean beauty boutiques and mainstream traditional retailers, we are hiring a Product Development Manager professional to help our systems scale as our business grows. Our values show up in everything we do and in what we stand for:
TRANSPARENCY: In our product, in our communication, in our relationships
INTEGRITY: Always stay true to who we are and why we’re here
PERSEVERANCE: Never, never, never give up
KINDNESS: Be kind to yourself and others
EDUCATE: Knowledge is power, share it
TEAMWORK: We’re all on this journey together
When you’re passionate about what you do, you’re more likely to be great at it. If you’re passionate about what we stand for and want to be on the ground floor of a pioneering brand that will be an important part of the clean cosmetic industry’s future, we welcome your application below.
Some of the Product Developer Manager responsibilities include:
- Own the product development process from new product initiation to completion of production for all new product launches and reformulations.
- Manage up to a few dozen projects at one time and have the ability to stay very organized and deliver on time.
- Lead communication with all labs and manufacturers to relay information regarding re-directs, approvals, regulatory requests in relation to lab samples and pre-production samples (PPS).
- Manage all documentation, forms, samples, and ensure these are well kept and very organized.
- Communicate with Graphics, Marketing, and Ops team on necessary packaging requests, orders and approvals so those teams are able to support the PD timeline and have awareness around upcoming launches.
- Oversee and organize information in ‘Monday’ management app so that other teams may easily access information on a product when needed.
- Conduct market research under the direction of PD Director to acquire samples, shade ranges, number of SKU's, etc.
- Manage clinicals, stability, compatibility, BOM’s and any additional reports required to move towards launch.
- Request regulatory documents and manage the relationship between ILIA’s responsible person and the labs.
- Work with Graphics to proof labels and copy on primary and secondary packaging before moving to production.
- Prep, approve and file PPS samples for production and review with PD Director for final approval.
- Coordinate extra samples for press samples via packaging and lab vendors
- Prep all samples for meetings and manage these internally to ensure brand has what it needs to upcoming market meetings.
- Work with current timeline template for all active projects and encourage labs to use
- Possible travel for production shade approvals, trade shows, market trends
- Research ingredients, their function and develop a thorough understanding of formulating for the clean color category
What You’ll Need to Bring:
This is a fast-moving and organizationally busy position within a casual Southern, CA specialty brand. It’s an ideal environment to be on the ground floor of a high-growth, privately owned company and use your skill set to establish best practices that will enable us to scale quickly over the next 24-36 months.
This is a full-time position based in the company headquarters; competitive health insurance and PTO program included.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in product development
- Must be detail oriented, strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task at ease
- Extreme attention to detail and understanding of color, texture, and expectations for each product
- Excellent communication skills; written and verbal with the ability to think on the fly and problem solve quickly
- Proficient at senior manager & founder level communication
- 4-year college degree preferred
Please email a cover letter, your resume, and references to careers@ILIABeauty.com